Monday, May 14, 2007

Teachers as Learners

I've been reading through David Warlick's blog "2 Cents" and came across some things that really struck me as important.
Warlick wrote,
Sadly, we are a generation who was taught how to be taught — not how to teach ourselves.
I completely agree with this statement, and I have been trying to remind myself of this as I adventure through the Education program at the University of Regina. I have often found myself waiting for further instruction, asking what the teacher really wants us to do, and very rarely have I been willing to "venture out on my own" and take a chance in the way that I learn. As a teacher, I need to be able to teach my students. But, how can I teach my students if I can't teach myself? This has been important in my approach to technology in the classroom. I have a lot to learn from my instrutor and others; but there are many opportunities for me to teach myself. I have access to the entire world on the internet, and I need to take advantage of it. As teachers, we need to enhance our own learning to be albe to enhance our students learning. Sometimes, that might mean I need to learn from my students. I know that in my future classroom I will have students who are incredibly knowledgable about technology and the way it can be used. So rather than fight it, I can ask them to teach me. There is a lot to be learned from my students. I also think they take pride in being able to teach an adult or share their knowledge with others. On Warlick's blog a comment was made by Michele Martin:
Part of lifelong learning is being curious, seeking out new information and being on top of your game re: changes in the field.
This sums it up so well. How can we teach kids to think, problem solve and explore if we don't do it ourselves?

Just a note:
Warlick has a post about "Second Life" and the "Second Life Best Practices in Education International Conference" on May 25. This all sounds really interesting. I want to know more about it. What is it? It looks like a virtual world. How will this conference work? Would it be valuable for me to take part in? Wow! Is this the future of Education? Virtual people in a virtual world. Maybe this could be a way of expanding my learning. Sounds very interesting and worth looking into.

1 comment:

Marnie M said...

Love this comment on learning. Make sure you keep this in mind as your proceed through this class and your other Education courses. How will you incorporate this into your Global Awareness Project?

Marnie